Kids and adults alike in County Durham can get creative at their local library this February at a series of art and crafts sessions.
A range of activities are on offer on selected dates throughout February and into March. For just £1 a session, children can create their own animated film, make an out of this world space artwork or listen to a pirate themed tale at a family storytelling session.
There’s plenty to do for grown-ups too with a range of Valentine’s Day inspired craft sessions, using glass, ceramics, fabric and more, also priced at just £1 per person per session.
Linda Dobson, principal library manager, said: “Activities like these are a great reminder that libraries aren’t just all about reading. They can be fantastic places to learn new skills, meet new people and for people of all ages to use their imagination and get creative.”
To avoid disappointment, places must be booked in advance by contacting the library. Contact details for all County Durham libraries can be found at www.durham.gov.uk/libraries
What’s on offer?
Sheryl Jenkins – Animation
For ages seven and over
Using apps and the wonders of technology, create a short animated film. Participants can use drawings, models and green screen to work together to create their very own animated blockbuster.
- Barnard Castle, Saturday 16 February, 10am-12 noon
- Chester le Street, Saturday 9 February, 10am-12 noon
- Crook, Friday 22 February, 10am-12 noon
- Durham Clayport, Saturday 23 February, 2-4pm
- Newton Aycliffe, Friday 22 February, 2-4pm
- Seaham, Saturday 23 February, 10am-12 noon
- Shildon, Thursday 21 February, 10am-12 noon
Jyl Friggens – Mosaic Heart Pendant
For children aged over eight and adults
To celebrate the romantic month of February, make a mosaic heart pendant using vitreous glass and ceramic tiles, finished off with beaded wire to hang it with.
- Belmont, Monday 18 February, 2-4pm
- Blackhall, Thursday 21 February, 10am-12 noon
- Brandon, Monday 18 February, 10am-12 noon
- Cornforth, Tuesday 19 February, 10am-12 noon
- Horden, Friday 22 February, 2-4pm
- Thornley, Monday 11 February, 10am-12 noon
Laura Brenchley – Rag Heart Wreaths
For adults and families
Using recycled fabrics participants tie strips of material onto a wire heart shaped frame. When the frame is full, it is ready to hang with a pretty ribbon as a home accessory.
- Chilton, Thursday 21 February, 2-4pm
- Sedgefield, Friday 22 February, 2-4pm
- Wingate, Saturday 23 February, 10am-12 noon
Paul Merrick – Out of this world animation
For ages 7 – 12 years
What is needed to survive in space? Create an ‘out of this world’ piece of artwork to demonstrate how you would get by in another galaxy!
- Consett, Tuesday 19 February, 10am-12 noon
- Peterlee, Monday 18 February, 2-4pm
- Spennymoor, Monday 18 February, 10am-12noon
- Stanley, Tuesday 19 February, 2-4pm
Popples Tales – Storytelling: Snagglepants & the Scallywags Spectacles
For families and children
Being brave is easy as a pirate. But what if you don’t know you are a pirate, what if your whole family tree has been washed away and everything about the water scared you? Join Snagglepants with his little known pirate past and some rather unusual spectacles and he finds his way to courage on his own.
- Langley Park, Saturday 2 March, 10.30am-12 noon
- Wolsingham, Saturday 9 March, 10.30am-12 noon
Theatre production: Orville the Owl
Little ones can discover how brave they are with this special theatre production of Orville the Owl by Danielle Burn.
Orville is an owl who is scared of the dark… and the light. Spiders and monsters come out in the dark. But then barking dogs and slimy worms come out in the light. Orville is stumped as how to be the best owl he can be when he is fearful of well… everything. Join Orville on an interactive journey of poetry, music and puppets to help our little owl see how magical the dark and the light can be and discover your own bravery too.
- Barnard Castle, Tuesday 1 February, 2-3pm
Dawn Belshaw – Love Heart Wreaths
For adults only
To promote recycling and celebrate the romantic month of February, participants will use plastic bags to create their own love heart wreaths.
- Shotton Colliery, Tuesday 19 February, 2-4pm
- Trimdon, Tuesday 19 February, 10am-12 noon